November 1, 2011
Inspecting your rental property regularly can result in numerous profitable advantages.
Why are they necessary?
• To see what maintenance needs to be done
• To promote safety: heaters, exits, patios, etc.
• To improve sanitation
• To improve housekeeping skills
• To answer the tenant’s questions
Tips for a more successful inspection
• Give adequate notice. Most states require 24 or 48 hours. Think about giving a week’s notice.
• Ask the tenant beforehand if there is anything that needs to be fixed, with a form listing each room in the unit.
• Ask if the tenant prefers to be there during the inspection. Respect the tenant’s decision.
• Take another person with you.
• Take a camera or camcorder with you.
• Schedule time for maintenance.
• Schedule time for follow-up inspections, if necessary.
• Inspections should be done about every four months